Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Shower Buddy

Emily and I were roommates through college. We had 3 other girls living in our apartment with a total of 5 girls and 2 bathrooms. Surprisingly enough, the bathroom situation wasn't really an issue. Three girls shared the upstairs bathroom and Emily and I shared the downstairs bathroom, which was located right outside Emily's bedroom. I think that usually having to share a bathroom causes lots of frustration and fights. For Emily and I, however, it was the opposite. Every morning I would wake up, go downstairs and get in the shower. With the bathroom right next to Emily's room, she would wake up once the water started. At this point Emily would come and brush her teeth and sit on the toilet and talk to me. Once I was done with my shower, we would trade places and I would continue to get ready for the day while Emily washed her funk off. This morning ritual is one of my most precious memories of my college days. Emily and I are fairly different, so she always offered a different perspective to the boyfriend or school issue. I grew to love her to pieces. She is thoughtful, kind and very smart. She always thinks out every decision she makes and how it will affect those around her. I loved to hear the incite she could offer me. If she ever missed a day of talking to me through my shower, I was lonely. I hated those mornings.


Well as you can imagine, things were a bit different when I got married. I remember telling Jason on more than one occasion how much I missed Emily and our shower time together. Being newly married, he thought that was a bit strange, but would accommodate me anyways. What a good man I married!!


It's funny to me now that my girls have taken Emily's place. Not a shower time goes by where the girls aren't coming in and chatting with me while I clean up. They may not offer me the best advice on my life problems as Em did, but they do remind me that my life is so blessed.


Over the 4th we had the great opportunity to go to a wedding celebration for Emily and Ryan. It was beautiful!! I can't even express to you the excitement I had to see my shower buddy again. You know you have an amazing friendship when you are able to pick up right where you left off 5 years ago!!


5 comments:

Nancy Clark said...

I'm an old Corvallis friend (one of the Worths) and also a huge fan of Emily! Looks like you guys had a great trip (and congratulations on Jason's graduation)!

Tiffany said...

Cute story-cute friend-cute pictures-you are so stinkin cute! I'm going to miss you and your crazy girls when you move! :(

Kari said...

You guys are so cute and fun.

Jared and Lydia said...

That is super sweet. Are you moving to Corvallis? I loved growing up in Corvallis.

emily a. said...

I'm getting a little teary. I miss shower time too!

THANK YOU so much for coming down- I loved seeing you all and wish it would've worked out to have more time. With everyone still there through wed we were at the beach, etc... and it just didn't work out. I think I converted Ryan to the Northwest so we'll likely end up somewhere out there!

Love ya Mandy!