Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Note from Jason

I want to thank all of you who have wished us well, prayed for us, given time, thoughts, etc on behalf of my mom and my family. While this has been a tough trial I can honestly say that the past two days have easily been two of the best of my entire life. Granted they were not the happiest, but in terms of quality they rival my marriage, the birth of my children and other special events. We were blessed with such a rare opportunity with Mom. Each of us had a chance to make peace with my mother, mend fences, express love and receive love from her. Not everyone is blessed with minutes let alone months to do this. At times it was excruciating over the past few months to watch as attempt after attempt to fight the cancer failed. By odds alone she should have never developed cancer in her lungs. But it seems that this was just one of many clues we received along the way that this was her time. The illness and the timing was no accident. For example Mom was not a smoker and she didn't live in heavy pollution; Until 1 month before she got sick the family was scattered across the world as far as China but we all came home just before she got sick; In the end she was able to hang on long enough for her estranged sibilings to travel across the country in time to say goodbye. There are so many other miracles involved, probably more than I even realize.

Friday we knew that the time was close because she was in the hospital and it was fairly certain that she would not be returning home. My whole family including spouses rallied around her all day expressing our love and supporting her. We also rallied around Dad who needs our support too. By the end of the day we had all received closure and peace around her passing. We assumed that it could come at any time. The next day nobody felt that they were in a particular hurry to see her because the previous day had been so amazing. Dad spent most of the day with her and by now her ability to speak was completely gone. But something happened in the evening. In some way she reached out to each of her children, some directly, others through their husband or wife. She invited us to her hospital room. So each of the children stopped by at the same time, independant of each other for a quick 20 minute goodbye. When we all found ourselves together at the same time we knew that this was it. It was a long and emotional process that lasted through the night as we supported Mom and each other through an ordeal that none of us had experienced so personally before. Her hands were never empty. Someone was constantly by her side. Together we battled pain, fatigue, impatience and every challenge that came in the night. We sang when we knew the words and hummed when we didn't hymns and songs from our childhood. We read verse after verse of scriptures. In the end, her spirit left her body, literally, as the sun rose over the hills on Sunday morning. If there is such a thing, it was a beautiful, tender, and dignified death. We couldn't help but cheer for her when she had finished. She was amazing.

I think that Mom realized quite a while ago that she wouldn't be able to heal herself. More than once she confided in me that she didn't want to die. But the truth is that we all die. Bodies wear out and betray us. We had many conversations about this. So instead she chose to heal others instead. Being in her presence inspired calm, peace and reassurance. But I realize now that this was not something that came with the illness. She has always been like that. As I talk to people and read notes we have been sent I realize that Mom has been doing that all along. Those of you who knew her would agree that she was a great physican, philosopher, friend and teacher.

After this experience I have no doubt of an afterlife. You would have an easier time convincing me that the ocean isn't made of water than you would that my Mom's spirit is not alive and as well as ever right this moment. My evidence is too personal to share but to me it is too convincing to deny.

Again thank you for your prayers and thoughts. Please pray especially for my Dad and my brother Tyler. We are all doing very well and this has really been an occasion of grief but also of fantastic discoveries for us. To correct the previous post, the funeral services will be held on Thursday July 31, at 10 AM (not 9 AM). The services will be held at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on Harrison Blvd. in Corvallis, OR.

17 comments:

The Johnston's said...

Jason, that was absolutely beautiful. I'm still wiping the tears away. Just by reading that my testimony of life after death has been fortified. You and your family are amazing examples to us all. We wish we could be there for you and just know that you are loved very much by not only your family but all of the friends and people that surround you. Thank you for sharing those tender moments. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Young Family,
Thank you so much for letting us be apart of your family.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Your Mom has always been an inspiration for our family. We will miss her greatly.
Love you,
Ken and Linda Jenks
Danene Jenks Merrill and family
San Jose, CA.

The GLASMANNagerie said...

Jason and Mandy and the whole Young Family

We love you all so much. Your mom will always hold a special place in our hearts. All of you have created special memories for us, especially your mom! I keep remembering how she would remind me that she was my Mom's visiting teacher and after she died she always told me how much she enjoyed that. I hope my mom and your mom have a sweet reunion together! We love you!
The Glasmann Family

Dianne K. Nelson said...

I have nothing but love for your mother, and wish you and your family the best at this time. Thanks for writing such a beautiful tribute.

Goodman Family said...

I was headed downtown today and saw a funeral precession and just lost it thinking about your family. Thanks for sharing your tender thoughts!

Joel and Kristie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your post was so beautiful and it strengthened my testimony just reading it. I know that your mother is still watching over you and your family and always will be. I will continue to pray for your family during this hard time.

Chris & Stephanie said...

Hi guys,
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your words are so moving and SO true! The Young family truly has dealt with this the way it should be done! You are so strong and will be SO blessed for it! You are in our prayers!
Love,
The Zahlmanns

Eric & Penny Kunz Family said...

We are really sorry to hear this. May you find comfort and peace. We are praying for you.

Julia said...

Jason, I have had a hard time writing a comment because I would breakdown in tears every time. What you wrote was so beautiful and eloquent-just like your mom. My heart goes out to your family right now. You never think that you will really have to experience a loss of a parent. Cameron and I have been talking a lot lately about how wonderful you all are and how through a trial you have all remained so spiritual and Christ like. Your mother wouldn't of wanted it any other way. We love you and will definitely keep you all (especially Ty and your dad) in our prayers. We wish more than anything that we could be there at her memorial. My parents will be there in our place. Love you guys-Julia

Nancy Clark said...

I'm sorry for your loss, but grateful for having known your mother. You and your amazing family are in my prayers.

Melinda said...

thank you for sharing those tender moments. we're very sorry about your loss. i'm sure the funeral today was a great experience for many people to share their appreciation and love for your wonderful mother. you're in our thoughts and prayers.

Alli said...

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences - that was truly amazing to read. The veil between life and death must seem very thin right now. I am happy that you guys had that kind of time with her, and that your testimonies grew stronger in the process. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Perkes Family said...

That was an amazing post and true testimony builder that families are forever. Thank you for sharing your thoughts they were beautiful. You and your family are in our prayers. We love you.

Tiffany said...

Thank you Jason for sharing this with us. Lots of hugs to you and your family-we love you!

Vince & Tamara said...

Sorry for your loss Young family, but thank you for the positive, and uplifiting updates!
Love
Vince & Tamara

Denise G said...

Her mother is a great woman. We were sad to hear of her battle with cancer. May she continue to touch the lives of many who remember her influence and to the many more who now have her influence on the other side.

Macdonald Family said...

Jason,
I had no idea this had recently happened to you. I can only say that I know what you must have been through and will still be going through for some time. I don't know if you remember or if I had brought it up in church before, but my mom died of a heart condition brought on by a serious bacterial infection. I had to literally stand by and watch her go. I cannot express the feelings that I have for your loss. I understand your sentiments of the deep realization of the existence of a post mortal life that comes with the loss of a loved one so close. As trite as it may sound, my heart and my prayers go out to you and your family.