Saturday, March 01, 2008

More info on Mom

So there is some good news since I last posted. The results of mom's CT showed that she actually has primary lung cancer which is a big shock since she is not a smoker. The cancer has also spread to parts of her spine. In a way this is good news because that means that no other major organs have been affected. The other good news is that her MRI showed no tumors in her brain.

More good news is that there are some treatment options. Tonight she started chemotherapy and hopefully she will be home by Monday. The prognosis is better than we expected too. Cancer is scary and you wonder when you might lose someone whether it's days, weeks or what. For mom it could be months or years.

As for the family we are all coming off of the initial shock. I think that we have all done a really good job of coming together and supporting each other. We all have role that we need to fill and everyone is doing their jobs. Personally after a good adjustment from a friend and some massage and the pleasure of treating patients I have been able to move past my sadness, fear and dispair. My mom is still here and I realize that all of the sadness or bad feelings in the world will not help her. However, positive energy, hope and working smart can help her to have the best shot at extending her life and enjoying that time. I realize that some of you know my mom personally and I would encourage you to move beyond the sorrow too. We need your positivity and prayers and hope as well.

I'm confident that a miracle will happen. That miracle maybe one that saves her life but maybe not. I know that the miracle that is happening right now is that we are rediscovering my mom. If you know her you know that she is a bit of a crazy lady. :) In the last couple of days I am starting to understand the method to the madness. I mentioned in an earlier post that she cares too much and helps a little much. I'm finding out that this is because my mom has so much love to give. I've been so close to it my whole life that I could never recognize that the way I do now. But now the threat of losing it is making me understand just how strong that love is.

Please, if you have a thought or message for my mom, please e-mail it to us at: jason_mandy_young@hotmaili.com we are printing and compiling them. She will need all kinds of support to make it throught the challenges that are still ahead. Thanks again!

-Jason

8 comments:

emily a. said...

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that although things aren't great there are some options and at least some options. You are all in our prayers.

Shauna said...

All of the Young family is definitely in our thoughts and prayers. We love you guys very much!

Jeff and Shauna

Goodman Family said...

Jason-we went through the same thing a few years ago when we thought my mom had cancer. It is a very difficult thing when you all the sudden think you are going to lose your mom. It is a heart wrenching thing to think about. So glad your mom has options...and you are feeling a little better.

The Johnston's said...

You guys are so amazing! Keep up the positive thoughts and actions and I do believe you will recieve your miracle. We are sending love and prayers your way everyday!

Shonda said...

Thank you for the update. Our prayers are working...I can hear it in the update, and in your tone of voice. Your Mother, and your family will CONTINUE to be in our fasts and prayers. You have such and amazing family. I believe you are about to find yourself surrounded my miracles.

Ditto Family said...

Your mom is a wonderful lady! We will be thinking of you!

Tiffany said...

I haven't checked your blog in ages! Sorry about all the drama and stress, but I am glad you are seeing the positive in it and learning to appreciate your mom more.
I lost my dad to cancer about 3 years ago-my dad and I were not close and when I found out he was sick, it was Fathers Day of 2004-Chad had never met him and Bekah was about 6 months old and had never met her grandpa. Because of the sickness and the sudden realization that he might not be around much longer-I was able to look past the things that had happened and go to see him in the hospital. The look on his face and the tears in his eyes as he held his grandaughter for the first and only time is something I will never forget. It is a memory that I think of often and am very grateful for the little bit of time we had to spend with him before he passed without the anger and the hurt between us.
We love you and you will be in our prayers!

The M Family said...

That is really good news. Hubert fasted with you guys on Sunday and we are continuing to pray this will all work itself out. Your Mom sounds like a really strong lady and your viewpoint on this is really inspiring.